Jim Quik the best selling author of Kwik learning and many more awesome Mental Toughness techniques describes a process of decision making and problem solving called 6 hats. Once you have an outcome you desire. Job offer, better relationship, financial security…. You start there.
The way it goes Michael Mahy version ???? -
- White Hat - This is when you are gathering as much information as possible on and around the subject. This should take anywhere from a few hours to a day.
- Yellow Hat- Bringing Optimism to the equation. Being as bright and as positive minded as possible despite the challenges.
- Black Hat - Judgement Time. Being highly critical, no room for positivity, staying within the context of safety and being sensible.
- Red Hat - Connecting to your Why. Why is this is important. What will this decision give you. Check your passion meter . How bad do you want it ???
- Green Hat - Creativity. This is the how. Learn from others, and tweaking the process to suit your situation. Thinking outside the box.
- Blue Hat- Managing. Time and Progress. Small steps. As Jim would say “ Inch by Inch it’s a cinch, yard by yard it’s hard”
I have found this process hugely helpful with clients and within my personal life . You can use whatever terminology suits you as I certainly do. Hope this helps, if anyone would care to share their process of problem solving would love to hear back.